Saturday, February 15, 2020

Cotton Spinning

Cotton waiting for me to tie off then wash and onto deciding what project/s to use it in.

This skeiner was a beautiful gift from my sister in 2018, it is one of two I was given the other is smaller which will be very handy. The white cotton is Egyptian cotton approx 3cm fibre length (as the label says). This is a very soft fibre and I used a new, and a slightly taller Talki spindle.

I used an electric spinner to ply 3 threads that I had wound these onto a knitting needle together.  This has it's pros and cons but am following the instructions I was given at the course I attended at handweavers and spinners guild Melbourne. Great teacher and day learning on 5th January 2020.

I had brought some coloured cotton at Australian sheep and wool show over last couple of years. So here it is as 5 or 6 threads -some coloured and couple white pima cotton.  I find it interesting the effects that happen when blending and using different colours be that in cotton or wool.
     The bobbin on right is less threads of         colour so the white is showing more. 

This is a mid size Turkish spindle with pima cotton -a much shorter fibre than the Egyptian cotton.  I have used this spindle for spinning cotton as it holds more. The pima was part of materials fee option at workshop. 

Coloured is Egyptian cotton plyed after winding multiple threads onto a weaving bobbin. The strength of colour plays together is much strongerfor this spinning experience than blending with white.

This is what I did in class. You can see the white from materials pack. This is also the Talki I got as part of the pack. Very portable and nice to use. Tiny only 3cm across the brass section spins very fast. In class i used a bowl now I have a plastic case which doubles as carry all for what i put on instead  of a bowl and it carries my the cotton spinning afterwards.

This is fun bit from class it is a new floss and cotton shows how the fibres work. 

Cotton in its natural state. I am aiming to spin from one of these in the future. 

Now i can spin short fibres here comes the camel fibre i have had for some time. 

No comments:

Weaving

To be weaving this length approx 3 metres long and 10cm wide. I have used 100% wool, for both warp and weft. The weft is made up of single o...