Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Hand Made LIGHT SHADE

I have started to explore fibre from its basic processed point of cleaned, carded commercially. What would I do to this material of wool that is sourced locally by myself and here is the start. I ended up with many fun moments in many processes that I can now do more comfortably. A old idea from many moons ago and I thought unachievable is now done in a new and different way for me. But I start with dyeing, using food colour, much time, patience and choices of which colours, red, blue, green, pink, sooooo many to do.  Then I practise my new skill drop spindle spinning which gives many hours of portable fun and conversation starters. along with comfort in finally spinning as a standard wheel is not an option.



I  use fibre from others this time to make lamp, which also included glittery bits. I then brought together my light shade with my spinning to explore shape and interest which was always there in the fibre.  I do a sort of pre-draft of the sliver that made it easier to manage thickness of spun fibre and still allows me to stretch out the strand into hopefully a nice single yarn. (SEE BELOW)Plying was still new and has changed the way the singles looked. The many colours in the images shows how it gives a very interesting end 2 ply wool yarn again drop spindle done.


I have been wanting to make lights but wondering how the heat effects natural materials like wool, cotton, silk and how to keep the safety and beauty working together and now we have low watt globes and LED lights has opened new possibilities.


  The making of an idea that pops into existence by ones hand and looks as it did or even better is such amazing ideal experience.

No comments:

Weaving

To be weaving this length approx 3 metres long and 10cm wide. I have used 100% wool, for both warp and weft. The weft is made up of single o...