Saturday, December 11, 2010

The start of showing my works -WHITE

The date of this post is 20th December 2010

The recent experience of showing this my work to people I do not know or have discussed with regarding what, why and for has been very interesting. I have had people touch, come up close and look, then show others my white piece. This was shown at Moonee Valley racecourse where our end of course with other departments of RMIT (fashion and textiles) school in Melbourne was held over two nights and one day.



This is a length of hand woven acrylic yarn that I borrowed some a friend to finish. I weaved it on my loom that a Melbourne maker made many years ago. It is still going well, just needing a little TLC and regular oiling. The weaving took over 15 hours and I did a block weave that surrounded a two over and under pattern. Then making squares out of rocks, which was boiled an resulted in many interesting shapes, then to bring out the different effects I used my hoops to go with the construction theme which works for me and my piece is finished. A few pins and help from others, a work on show. These were on show for two nights and a day, giving those a brief glimpse into our work.

No comments:

Weaving

To be weaving this length approx 3 metres long and 10cm wide. I have used 100% wool, for both warp and weft. The weft is made up of single o...