Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Bright Warps


On the loom.


This bright warp is to be made into brooches, bookmarks, and scarf using a comb reed. A nifty idea with a interesting reed that is 5 dents per inch.
I worked at using the comb reed over these two warps and I had these bright yarns to play with, along with the weather getting sunnier - what a way to greet Spring. 

Bookmarks from two warps.
 
All weaving is work in progress.
 As the warps were randomly wound, it brought out many combinations and pattern in colour. I am a very much flow with the yarn type - I often just want to see. In this case what these 4 ply yarns would look like. I did not work out the set, for this would mean decisions made by me at the beginning and I want the yarn to be involved. I sample via using the warp, this allows for the yarn and I to see how much can be gotten from a ball/hank. These warps are straight drafts and on 4 shafts. I can Do SAORI weave if the idea doesn't work and I will play again. Having fun is one of my main goals when weaving.

Brooches - needing finishing.
I started with the more red/blue warp and with the comb reed (a reed without the top bar so you can lift warp from one dent to another) and wove the scarves then re-dented closer to a rep weave type set and out came bookmarks and brooches at the same time side by side on the loom. Yes I divided the warp used two shuttles and wove, why not is how I think.  

 
With the Second warp the very bright yellow, greens. etc I learnt it is much harder to do brooches and bookmarks first then a scarf, As when I re-dented and wound on it affected the tension of the warp but a few sticks and patience when weaving the scarf. The lifting order came from the Handweaver's Pattern Directory by Anne Dixon. Which is the kind of book I keep Handy when weaving patterns as it has so much choice.
 
Two different -4 shaft patterns.
 
Rolled up scarf - 4 shaft pattern

 

 

No comments:

Weaving

To be weaving this length approx 3 metres long and 10cm wide. I have used 100% wool, for both warp and weft. The weft is made up of single o...