Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Dye - Natural

I attended a Natural Dye day at the local Handspinner and weaver's group near home. A bit cool still, but what colours we created from natural plants and natural dyes.  We took some carrot tops and 8 skeins of 10gm wool from my stash of whites. It gave myself the chance to see if hubby would come along and understand what I mean by natural dyes. We were given a list of items to bring along, with a plate to share, which was a nice way to meet people.

I must confess I took Hubby along, hoping he might enjoy the day. It seems like he did, as he was in at the different dye pots seeing what happens. He came away with a few samples for himself, I wonder if he'll make something. I had asked him along hoping he might as well get some practise with the process, for then he could help here at home. Also that it may make sense to him, my often strange requests in the creating process.


My samples with labels

We mordant a few samples and then into turmeric with two and one into the indigo (blue). Some non-mordant samples into eucalyptus  (what I call a rust red) and turmeric (yellow) and when ready carrot tops (green). I also put into indigo a couple of non-mordant and for varying times to see the shades of blue.

After the mordant the turmeric samples we kept one yellow and put the other one into the indigo to make a bright strong green.  With the carrot tops - I took out one sample and with another, when other ingredients where added to the pot to change the strength of greens. Our dye day was cleaned up and ended with my plate of delectable natural dyed yarns.

What a lovely day to which more natural dyes made be done at home, at the colours were bright and lovely. 

1 comment:

shipbuilding said...

These colours look so beautiful and I'm so happy you both enjoyed the day. Well done!

Weaving

To be weaving this length approx 3 metres long and 10cm wide. I have used 100% wool, for both warp and weft. The weft is made up of single o...